The advent of COVID-19 pandemic and the Government guidance under Health Protection (Coronavirus, Business Closures) Regulations 2020 and other pronouncements, has meant the closure of all non-essential premises/public venues, of which the conference venue at RIBA, 66 Portland Place, London, W1B 1AD, is one.
Given that no public venue events are probable in London until late 2020, we regrettably announce the cancellation of the XIIIth Congress of ISD-DE on 17th – 19th June 2020, for your and our safety.
Registrants and sponsors will be individually contacted in respect to full refunds. Authors of all abstracts submitted will be individually contacted. Please appreciate that these processes will take some weeks to complete. Meanwhile the activities of the website will continue to expand and we look forward to your participation as Members. Membership of the society is encouraged for full benefit. More info on membership available here.
ISD-DE 2020 Local Information
Local Information (accommodation & restaurants around)
The following Hotels are close to the Meeting Venue at RIBA https://www.architecture.com
ISD-DE has not reserved rooms and has not inspected these Hotels. However, they are all within a walking or tube/bus journey to the Meeting Venue.
- Melia White House – top location as close by –
- Holiday Inn Regents Park – also top location as close by –
- Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton
- Hilton London Metropole – good if coming in from Heathrow via Heathrow Express (HEX) to Paddington. Is very close to Edgware Road Tube station, from where it is a short journey to great Portland Street.
- Dorset Square Hotel – small boutique Hotel
- Astor Court Hotel – small Hotel –
- The Langham (5 star) – easy walking to meeting past the BBC and very close to Oxford Street
http://www.langhamhotels.com/en/the-langham/london/ with The Roux at the Landau Restaurant https://rouxatthelandau.com
- The Saint George Hotel (4 star)
On Thursday 18th June 2020 we really want you to come to the ISD-DE Gala Dinner because there will be super music and company. It has limited seating so is first come first served. However, on Wednesday 17th June after the Course and Welcome Reception and on Friday 19th June you should enjoy going out in London.
You will be spoilt for choice:
The Meeting Venue RIBA lies between Marylebone and Fitzrovia districts of London, just below Regents park. RIBA is close to two London “Villages” in these districts, Marylebone Village and Portland Village. You will also find Charlotte Street and its environs near Tottenham Court Road with yet MORE Restaurants! You will find so many wonderful restaurants and bars catering for breakfast through to the early morning that our suggestions will seem small!
If you are extending your stay, consider some of the list below. Several of these suggestions are a little further away, for instance in Notting Hill gate or Belgravia, but worth a visit.
- Relais de Venise – Entrecote, Marylebone Lane (Emphasis on meat) Cannot book, must queue
- Iberica, Great Portland Street, Spanish tapas
- Chiltern Farmhouse (expensive, must book), Modern and place to be seen
- Cote in Devonshire Street, Good and close by
- The Cow Pub in Notting Hill gate, good for beer, Guinness and fish, fantastic
- The Grenadier, English Pub in Belgravia
- Hard Rock Café, Park Lane / Picadilly
- Ivy Café, Marylebone Lane
- Dinings, Harcourt Street (Japanese) Highly recommended, small, best to reserve
- Dishoon (Indian vegetarian)
- The Natural Kitchen, Marylebone High Street – good for breakfast and healthy food
- Il Baretto Winebar and Restaurant (Italian)
- Aubaine – (French)
- Woodlands Marylebone (vegetarian Indian)
- 108 Brasserie in Marylebone lane
- Daylesford Marylebone for healthy light meals